Welcome!

Hey there! My name's Jeff and this blog is meant to chronicle my experiences in the selection process for the United States Military. Obviously the best place to start would be the beginning, but each post is meant to inform the reader on my progress in the realm of physical preparations, school/academics, and my personal process in choosing the right branch of service for me. Thanks so much for reading and any feedback on my posts is appreciated.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Weekend Update: Superbowl Sunday

It's been almost a week since my last post, but frankly there hasn't been a whole lot of new information to relay. Today is Superbowl Sunday, but sadly my Dolphins were out of the hunt right around week three of the regular season, so I'll be spending the day (and most of the evening) in the library.

There's always next year...
Mainly I've just been working on my nutrition and doing push-ups. Lots and lots of push-ups. This is mainly because I realized that I could do a lot less pull-ups than I remember, and push-ups are a good way to start building the necessary upper body strength for pull-ups. It's a good routine to get into, and frankly I've been slacking during my acclimation to being back at a four-year school. The good news is I've lost five pounds since my meeting with the Marine OSO. Conversely, the bad news is I've still got another eight pounds before I'm within my maximum weight (185lbs) and I'd like to lose another five on top of that. It'll come, especially with PT looming.

I did call Captain Pages to touch base and let him know that I thought about it and would like to do the two six-week increments of PLC for OCS. As I mentioned earlier, there are some good benefits to PLC Jrs and Srs, including an easier road to selection as well as a better chance of avoiding injury at OCS. The only set-back is another semester is school, but I can deal.

On another note, I did finally receive and e-mail from an Army Recruiter. He wants me to call or reply via email if I'm still interested in the Army in order to ask a few questions to see if I qualify. If so, he wants to set up a time to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, more commonly referred to as the ASVAB. I was a little surprised by this, because it's normally a test reserved for enlisted service members and not taken by Marine or Navy Officer Candidates. From what I do recall about Army OCS, I think I have to go to regular Basic Training for nine weeks and then OCS for another twelve, so maybe that may have something to do with it. The whole process to get in touch with this recruiter has been slightly disjointed, so it could also be confusion about what I'm trying to do, which of course is OCS. The only way to find out is to check, so I'll be getting back in touch with him this week and hopefully get the chance to sit down and discuss my options.

As far as the coming week goes, mainly just more class, studying, and working out. Captain Pages will be up in Boca all week recruiting the FAU area so I'll get a chance to go over my mostly-completed application for the Marine Officer Program, meet some other officer candidates, and PT with them. I'm dreading the last part, because I know it's going to suck. I've got a pretty steep learning curve, but that's really the best way for me to get ready for OCS. Some of these guys have been there and other will probably go to Quantico with me this summer if I choose the Marine Corps so it'll be good to be training with people working towards the same goal, despite whatever rough transition awaits me.

Forecast for Thursday: Pain

In any event, keep it real - I'll update when some new information comes to me and as always, feel free to add any additional info or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment